|Oracle Java ME Embedded 8 is a Java Micro Edition (ME) 8 runtime thatleverages the core Java ME technologies deployed in billions ofmobile devices around the world. The Java ME 8 specificationsare designed to be rich in functionality, portable to a widerange of devices, flexible, and secure while being veryresource-efficient and keeping the demands on the underlyingplatform low.
Oracle Java ME Embedded 8builds on this proven technology to deliver a highly-optimizedand complete client Java runtime stack optimized forresource-constrained, connected, and intelligent embeddedsystems. It provides a robust and flexible cross-platformapplication environment based on Java ME 8 standards Java MEConnected Limited Device Configuration (CLDC) 8 (JSR360) and Java ME Embedded Profile (MEEP) 8 (JSR361) and implements dedicated embedded functionality for abroad range of use cases.
Oracle Java ME Embedded8 is supported by a range of best-in-class developer tools,such as the Oracle Java ME SDK 8, as well as plug-ins forpopular Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) such as NetBeans.
The se tools offer system designers and developers arich and productive environment to create sophisticated smallembedded solutions leveraging the benefits of the Javalanguage, runtime, and ecosystem while meeting while meetingtight system resource targets. The figure below illustrates theproduct stack-
Example Use Cases
Oracle Java ME Embedded 8 targets a wide range of embedded platformsand use cases in the Machine-to-Machine (M2M) and Internet OfThings (IoT) spaces such as:
- Wireless modules
- Smart meters/smart sensors
- Industrial controllers
- Tele health devices
- Environmental remote monitors
- Tracking systems
- Home automation devices
- Connected vending machines
- and general use cases where devices with local intelligenceand versatile connectivity are required
By using Java technologies for embedded products, device manufacturers,system integrators, and developers can build more functional,robust, secure, and long-lived solutions with a reducedtime-to-market window, providing better, more cost efficientembedded solutions.
- Complete solution for a highly-optimized client Java ME 8runtime stack optimized for resource-constrained, connected,and intelligent embedded devices
- Providing a robust and flexible, cross-platform applicationenvironment for small embedded solutions
- Very low footprint and CPU requirements, scaling frommicro-controller class systems up to mid-range embeddeddevices
- Fully compliant with CLDC 8 (JSR 360) and MEEP 8 (JSR-361)plus support for a number of additional optional JSRs: FileI/O API’s (JSR-75), Wireless Messaging API’s(JSR-120), Web Services (JSR-172), Security and Trust Servicessubset (JSR-177), Location API’s (JSR-179), XML API’s(JSR-280)
- Dedicated embedded functionality for developing sophisticatedembedded solutions, including remote application managementand monitoring, remote system configuration, support forrobust 24x7 operation, and direct access to peripheral I/Ohardware from Java
- Highly portable and extensible system design to meet the needsof diverse embedded requirements, providing a foundation whichenables downstream specialization, enhancements, andproductization for specific target markets and use cases
- Supported by best-in class tools: Oracle Java ME SDK 8 andplug-ins for popular IDEs such as NetBeans – includingsupport for device emulation and remote on-device debugging
- Backed by Oracle’s expertise in proven and widelycommercially deployed Java ME technology
For developing Java applications forsmall embedded devices, the Oracle Java ME SDK 8 provides acomplete and free set of tools, enabling developers to write,compile, deploy, and test their applications. For moreinformation on the Oracle Java ME SDK 8, please click here